The Rogues' Gallery
The Devil, You Say
He goes by many names in the Bible—Satan, the devil, the evil one, etc. The Old Testament doesn't say that much about him, but the New Testament does, for Jesus made it clear that the devil and a horde of demons had dedicated themselves to making human life unpleasant (not to mention keeping mankind out of heaven). As nasty as Satan is, however, the Bible makes it clear that human beings are responsible for their own sins. Comedian Flip Wilson's old line, "The devil made me do it," doesn't square with the Bible. The devil does tempt people, but people themselves choose to do wrong.
- Which two Gospels tell the story of Jesus being tempted by Satan?
- What ferocious animal does 1 Peter compare Satan to?
- In which Epistle did Paul refer to Satan as "the god of this world"?
- What, according to the New Testament, is the final place for Satan?
- In which Gospel did Jesus refer to Satan as "the prince of this world"?
- What is Satan the father of?
- Which prophet spoke of the fallen Lucifer, usually taken to refer to Satan as a fallen angel?
- According to the parable of the sower, what happens when someone hears the word of the Kingdom and does not understand it?
- According to John's Gospel, Satan was from the very beginning both a liar and a _____.
- In which Epistle did Paul call Satan the "spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience"?
- Which Gospel uses the name Beelzebub?
- What book of the Bible speaks of the demonic Abaddon and Apollyon, both names for Satan?
- Which apostle spoke of the contrast between Christ and Belial (presumably another name for the devil)?
- Which prophet spoke of "weeping for the king of Tyrus" in a passage that has traditionally been interpreted as referring to Satan instead of a human king?
- In Luke's Gospel, Jesus referred to seeing the fall of Satan. What did he compare the fall to?
- Whom did Satan provoke to do a census in Israel?
- Which disciple did Satan enter into?
- Which disciple was told by Jesus that Satan wanted to sift him "like wheat"?
- What New Testament man did Satan provoke to lie to the Holy Spirit?
- In the story of Satan's tempting of Jesus, what did he suggest Jesus turn into bread?
The Devil, You Say (Answers)
- Matthew (4:1-11) and Luke (4:1-13)
- A roaring lion (1 Peter 5:8)
- 2 Corinthians (4:4)
- The lake of fire and brimstone (Revelation 20:10)
- John (14:30; 16:11)
- Lies (John 8:44)
- Isaiah (Isaiah 14:12)
- The wicked one (Satan) snatches from the heart what was sown (Matthew 13:19).
- A murderer (John 8:44)
- Ephesians (2:2)
- Matthew (Matthew 12:24)
- Revelation (9:11)
- Paul (2 Corinthians 6:15)
- Ezekiel (Ezekiel 28:11-19)
- Lightning falling from heaven (Luke 10:18)
- David (1 Chronicles 21:1)
- Judas Iscariot (Luke 22:3-4)
- Peter (Luke 22:31)
- Ananias (Acts 5:3)
- Stones (Matthew 4:3-4)