The Bible's World
Who Was Who?
- ROMANS. The Roman Empire was peaceful and organized in the time of the New Testament. It took over the Greek Empire.
- GREEKS. The Greek Empire covered the East Mediterranean in the time between the Old and New Testaments. Greek (or Hellenistic) culture was the setting of the New Testament.
- PHILISTINES. Originally from the Aegean, settled here around the time of the exodus and conquest. Oppressed Israel during Judges, at war with Saul and David.
- EGYPTIANS. The influential southern power of the Old Testament, although in steady decline.
- HITTITES. The Hittite Empire was most powerful when the Israelites were in Egypt. Destroyed by the sea peoples (one of which was the Philistines).
- ASSYRIANS. The Assyrian Empire was powerful during the divided monarchy. Took Israel into exile.
- BABYLONIANS. The Babylonian Empire took over the Assyrian. Took Judah into Exile.
- MEDES & PERSIANS. Seized control of the Babylonian Empire. The Persians released the exiles and sent them home.