"In the Old Testament we read God’s word as it was spoken to his people Israel. Today, thousands of years later, we hear in these thirty-nine books his inspired and authoritative message for us."
These twin convictions, shared by all of the contributors to The New International Commentary on the Old Testament, define the goal of this ambitious series of commentaries. For those many modern readers who find the Old Testament to be strange and foreign soil, the NICOT series serves as an authoritative guide bridging the cultural gap between today’s world and the world of ancient Israel. Each NICOT volume aims to help us hear God’s word as clearly as possible.
Scholars, pastors, and serious Bible students will welcome the fresh light that this commentary series casts on ancient yet familiar biblical texts. The contributors apply their proven scholarly expertise and wide experience as teachers to illumine our understanding of the Old Testament. As gifted writers, they present the results of the best recent research in an interesting manner.
Each commentary opens with an introduction to the biblical book, looking especially at questions concerning its background, authorship, date, purpose, structure, and theology. A select bibliography also points readers to resources for their own study. The author’s own translation from the original Hebrew forms the basis of the commentary proper. Verse-by-verse comments nicely balance in-depth discussions of technical matters — textual criticism, critical problems, and so on — with exposition of the biblical writer’s theology and its implications for the life of faith today.
About the Old Testament Series Editor
Robert L. Hubbard Jr. is Professor of Biblical Literature at North Park Theological Seminary, Chicago, and general editor of the New International Commentary on the Old Testament series. He chaired the team of translation consultants for The Message by Eugene Peterson, and his books include the award-winning NICOT volume on the book of Ruth.
To view information on the New Testament Series, click here.
Check out a sample of this commentary by clicking on the yellow “Sample” button under the book cover on this page.
- NICOT: The Book of Genesis, Chapters 1-17
- NICOT: The Book of Genesis, Chapters 18-50
- NICOT: The Book of Leviticus
- NICOT: The Book of Numbers
- NICOT: The Book of Deuteronomy
- NICOT: The Book of Joshua
- NICOT: The Book of Ruth
- NICOT: The First Book of Samuel
- NICOT: The Books of Ezra and Nehemiah
- NICOT: The Book of Job
- NICOT: The Book of Proverbs, Chapters 1-15
- NICOT: The Book of Proverbs, Chapters 15-31
- NICOT: The Book of Ecclesiastes
- NICOT: The Book of Song of Songs
- NICOT: The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 1-39
- NICOT: The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40-66
- NICOT: The Book of Jeremiah
- NICOT: The Book of Ezekiel, Chapters 1-24
- NICOT: The Book of Ezekiel, Chapters 25-48
- NICOT: The Book of Hosea
- NICOT: The Books of Joel, Obadiah, Jonah and Micah
- NICOT: The Books of Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah
- NICOT: The Books of Haggai and Malachi
- NICOT: Psalms
- NICOT: The Book of Judges