This title works with the following Wordsearch productsDesktop
The Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (BECNT) series provides commentaries that blend scholarly depth with readability, exegetical detail with sensitivity to the whole, and attention to critical problems with theological relevance.
All BECNT volumes feature each author's detailed interaction with the Greek text. Each commentary admirably achieves the dual aims of the seriesacademic sophistication with pastoral sensitivity and accessibilitymaking it a useful tool for professors, students, and pastors. The user-friendly design includes shaded chapter introductions summarizing the key themes of each thought unit.
6 Reasons to Love the BECNT
- It's Exegetical, taking you verse-by-verse and passage-by-passage from Matthew to Revelation. The scholarly authors of this set don't miss a thing. They apply the most up-to-date application of scholarship to every text. They dig deeply into areas of disagreement among theologians, giving the strengths and weakness of each side. The authors admit their own limitations, yet uphold a high standard towards biblical accuracy.
- Language Issues are a critical concern. Whether you are a scholar or a layman, you will appreciate the brilliant way the BECNT handles explaining the nuances of the ancient languages. The Baker authors will take you deep into the Greek. If you need a little help, you’ll find the transliteration, showing how it’s pronounced. Even if you you have no Greek knowledge, the authors provide the closest possible translation and before long, many of these Greek words will become familiar to you.
- Background material that's like spending the day with a world-class historian. In each book, before you ever get to the commentary section, you'll find a "book within a book" that offers rich background information including sections like: Overviews, Distinctive Aspects, Literary Matters, Historical Origins, Authorship, Textual History, Theological Emphases, Christology, Canonicity, Relationship to other books, and much more.
- Surprising data that you may have never thought about. You'll find lots of charts that graphically demonstrate the harmony (and sometimes the contrast) of words used by the different writers who describe the same events.
- Beautiful outlines that will assist you in organizing sermons and lessons. The book of Matthew is just 28 chapters in length, yet the outline of Matthew is 153 lines long. The authors of the BECNT do not overlook even the smallest detail. Just browse the outlines and you'll get inspiring ideas.
- Wordsearch makes it better than having a printed edition. You already know this, but Wordsearch saves you from hours of page turning to look things up. Searching is fast and easy and your commentary stays in sync with any Bible translation of your choice. Click on a word to access your language tools for more information. Mouse-over a footnote to find a source. Find something you can use and drag it to a document where you're creating a sermon or lesson.
Check out a sample by clicking on the yellow Sample button underneath the book cover image.
Products Included In This Bundle
In this age of unprecedented proliferation of biblical commentary series, it is an outstanding accomplishment for the Baker Exegetical series consistently to have produced what with only rare exceptions have become the best available commentaries on the Greek text of the New Testament book or books treated.
Rigorous exegesis by seasoned scholars with explicit evangelical commitments. This is also one of the best-designed, easy-to-read series as it includes intro matters, then each commentator's translation, commentary, and textual notes for every passage. Very reliable.