NEWS! WORDsearch 8 is compatible with Windows 7!
Dear WORDsearch 8 Customer,
To help make your WS8 experience a comfortable one, we have provided a list of categories that address the most frequently asked questions and problems to date.
Click on the category link below to go to that section and get answers and resolutions to your questions or problems.
- WORDsearch 8 Installation Steps
- Problems / Errors Installing WORDsearch 8
- WORDsearch 8 Unlock Steps
- Problems / Errors Unlocking Books
- Problems / Errors Downloading Books
- Problems / Errors Installing Books
- More WORDsearch 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- Problems / Errors Starting WORDsearch 8
- Problems / Errors Using Features in the WORDsearch 8 Program
- Problems with Zipscript
Please read this document carefully before calling us. Your questions may be answered here.
For basic “How to” and usage questions, call our Customer Service
1-800-888-9898 or email them at email@example.com.
If your error message is not addressed here, call Technical Support at 512-835-6900 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn how to use WORDsearch 8, you can read the built in manual or watch our video tutorials. Just click on Help in the WORDsearch 8 library then select WORDsearch Help or Video Tutorials. You can also click on this link to view the tutorials on line http://www.wordsearchbible.com/videos8/
NEW! WORDsearch offers free training classes. For more information or to sign up, call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-888-9898 or visit us at http://www.wordsearchbible.com/training/
WORD search 8 Common Problems and Their Resolutions
Insert the WORDsearch 8 Basic Edition CD and allow the installation
program to auto start. (If it does not auto start, click on Start | Run
| then type in D:\Setup)
Follow the installation instructions presented on each of the installation
screens and click on “Next” at each screen.
The WORDsearch installation program will copy its program files to your hard drive and can even scan your computer for STEP books incase you are upgrading from WORDsearch 5 to WORDsearch 8.
If you have personal data in WORDsearch 5 or 7, the WS8 installation program can import it into WS8
NOTE: If you get an error message during the installation process, please visit our WS8 FAQ web site: http://www.wordsearchbible.com/ws8faq
When the WORDsearch 8 install completes, click on the WORDsearch 8 icon
to start it.
NOTE: If you get a prompt to update the WS8 program, click on “Yes, begin downloading.”
If you get an error during this update process, please see the section entitled “Updating the WORDsearch 8 Program” to learn how to address the error.
The next screen you should see is the EasyStart screen. Click on “Enter
If you installed WS8 on top of WS7, you will already have access to
all your books. Once you have entered the WS8 Library, just place your
mouse pointer over the word "Resources" along the left hand
border of the WS8 program to slide open the Resources window and look
for the Library section for your books.
- If you are missing books, or if you recently purchased books, you will need to go through the Unlock Purchased Books process. For more information on getting your books into your library, see the section below entitled WORDsearch 8 Unlock Steps .
No. You can. It won't hurt. But it's not necessary. WORDsearch 8 can be installed as a stand-alone program.
But, if you had WORDsearch 7 or Bible Explorer installed when you install WORDsearch 8, do not uninstall WORDsearch 7 or Bible Explorer after installing WORDsearch 8. WORDsearch 8 will merge with your existing WORDsearch 7 or Bible Explorer program library and with other critical files. So. uninstalling WORDsearch 7 or Bible Explorer will remove these important files used by the WORDsearch 8 program and prevent you from starting WORDsearch 8.
No, WORDsearch 8 is a separate program and will be installed as a seperate program to a different location on your hard disk. However, WS8 will merge with your WORDsearch 7 program and use important WS7 files and even the existing WS7 library. So, DO NOT uninstall WORDsearch 7 after installing WORDsearch 8.
No. Uninstalling WORDsearch 7 after installing WORDsearch 8 will break WORDsearch 8 and prevent it from starting.
If you received a WS8 Basic Edition CD, that CD installs the WORDsearch 8 program.
The additional CDs are most likely “eBOOK LIBRARY CDs or our new eBOOK LIBRARY DVD. They contain all our books and are used to install your books incase you cannot install your books over the internet.
NOTE: After installing the WORDsearch 8 Basic Edition CD, you may need to unlock your purchased books. To unlock your books, see the section below called WORDsearch 8 Unlock Steps.
After you have unlocked your books, follow the instructions to install them. You can either install your books over the internet or use your eBOOK LIBRARY CDs or our new eBOOK LIBRARY DVD to install your books.
If you are still missing books after scanning all your eBook Library CDs or the new Library DVD, try installing your missing books from the internet. If you are still missing books, please call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-888-9898 from 9:00 AM CST to 10:00 PM CST Monday through Friday.
If you get this message, it could mean that none of your missing books
were on that particular eBook library CD and you need to continue the process
by inserting another library CD.
Insert the another eBook library CD and wait about 30 seconds for your computer to recognize the CD and try again.
This message could also mean that the Missing Book Installer program is scanning the wrong drive. Change the "D:\" in the Book installer dialog window if your CD drive is not the “D:\” drive. Click Search.
This red question mark means that the book is unlocked, WORDsearch knows you own it, but the book has not yet been installed. (It is missing.) Follow the steps below to install the missing book(s):
Click on one of your books with a red question mark next to it.
When the Missing Book Installer program window appears, click on "Install
all missing books" and click on "Install from CD" or “Install from Internet.”
- If you clicked on "Install from CD ", the Book Installer window will appear. At his point, insert an eBook library CD or our new eBook Library DVD and click on the button "Begin Searching" to begin the install process. The Book Installer program will scan your library CD for the books you own and install them. You will be prompted to insert another eBook library CD if needed.
- If you clicked on "Install from Internet", a window will appear with a list of your missing books. Click on the button "Start Downloading" and allow the book(s) to download. After the book(s) download, a prompt will appear telling you your books have been downloaded and asking you if you want to install them - click "Yes" to install the book(s).
This error occurs when you are trying to start the WORDsearch 8 Setup.exe program you have just downloaded from the internet. It occurs because you have not downloaded the entire Setup.exe file. This file is little over 9 MBs and you have not downloaded the entire 9 MBs.
Try downloading it again.
Try downloading it during off peak hours.
If needed, try downloading it with your antivirus program disabled. (Please refer to your antivirus program Help program for instructions on disabling your antivirus program.)
If you have exceeded the number of times you can download the WORDsearrch 8 Setup.exe file, please call our Customer Service and Sales Department for a new link. They can be reached by dialing 1-800-888-9898 from 9:00 AM CST till 10:00 PM CST Monday through Friday and Saturday afternoons.
"The file C:\Documents and Settings\owner\local\temp\mia1 is not a valid installation package for the product WORDsearch 7 Basic edition Try to find the installation package setup msi in a folder from which you can install WS7 basic edition."
This message is not a critical error and can be ignored. Click on OK or Close or Cancel to remove the message and start the WORDsearch 8 program.
You do not need to reboot your computer. Just look for the WS8 icon in the Start | All programs (or Programs) menu and click on it to start it back up again. Follow the information on the screens to complete the installation.
This message is caused by an outdated Windows installer program. The Windows installer program allows you to install software on your Windows computers. You must download and install the latest installer program.
You can download and install the latest Windows installer program at the following Microsoft Support web site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4
For Windows XP computers, you would download the file
For Windows Vista computers, you would download the file Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x86.msu
For Windows 64 bit Vista computers, you would download the file Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64.msu
This error is caused when your "My Documents" folder is located on a server or network location and not on your computer. To complete the installation, you must change the target path location of your "My Documents" folder to a location on your computer.
NOTE: You must have administrative rights to perform this fix. If not, please contact your computer administrator.How to Change the Target Path to your "My Documents" folder in Windows XP
- Click on the Windows Start button
- Right Click on "My Documents" in the Start menu
- Left Click on Properties (this will bring up the Properties window for your "My Documents" folder)
- In the "My Documents" Properties window, Click on the Target tab
- Look for the section called Target folder location and Click inside the Target path field window
- Record the path inside the Target path field window
- Delete the path inside the Target path field window
Cange the path to the following:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents
- Click on Apply
- Click on the OK button
- Retry the installation
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you receive a "Move Documents" window asking you if you would like to move all the documents in your old location to the new location you have chosen, Click on No.
NOTE: Be sure to change the target path to your My Documents folder back
to it's network location
If you purchased additional books when you ordered the WS8 upgrade and have Internet access, check your invoice for your account number and password under Installation and Unlock Instructions. Once you have these numbers, follow the steps below:
- Connect to the Internet
- Start WS8 and Enter the Library
- Click on Help in the main menu
- Click on "Unlock Purchased Books..."
- In the appropriate boxes, type in your account number and password provided on your invoice.
- Click Next and you will see a list of books that have been unlocked
NOTE: If you do not have Internet access, you will need to call us at 1-800-888-9898 to get our Unlocker CD.
WS8 has many options that take advantage of the Internet. For example, you can update your program, download patches and fixes, you can purchase and unlock books, and even join our Discussion Groups to discuss WS8 and other issues with other WS8 users.
- Enter the WORDsearch 8 library
- Click on Options in the main menu
- Click on Settings
- Click on Internet
- Click on "Yes, use my existing Internet settings"
- Click on OK
This error can occur if you are not connected to the internet.
Make sure your computer can access the internet.
This problem can also be caused by your Firewall or AntiVirus program.
Disable your Firewall or AntiVirus program and try unocking your books again.
This error means that you have entered the wrong account number or the wrong password.
Make sure your have entered the correct account number and password.
If you are still receiving this error, please call our Sales and Customer Service Department to verify your account number and password. They can be reached by dialing 1-800-888-9898.
1. I got a "Transfer error" when trying to downloading books from the internet.
2. The Downloads process is not responding or not downloading my books.
Close the Downloads window.
In the next window, click on "Discard the list " then click on OK.
Look for the book(s) that did not download in your library section. It (they) will appear with a red question mark next to it (them). Cick on it (them) and follow the steps to download the book(s) again.
If you continue to get the Transfer error, repeat the steps abive but this time, select to install your books from Library disks.
To order Libray disks, please call our Sales and Customer Service Department at 1-800-888-9898.
I just downloaded my books and got the message "There are ... books downloaded and ready to install. Would you like to install them now?"
When I clicked on "Yes", I got the following error:
"XML document must have a top level element"
You may also get this other error...
" Unhandled Archive Type "
The book files that were downloaded are corrupt.
Delete all the books that were downloaded and download them again.
1. Restart WORDsearch 8. When you enter the Library, you will get the message "There are ... books downloaded and ready to install. Would you like to install them now?"
2. Click on the "Cancel" button to delete all the downloaded books.
3. Look in your Library section and you will see the books that failed to install with a red question mark next to them.
4. Click on any book with a red question mark to re start the Book installer process and redownload your missing books.
Updating the WORDsearch 8 Program
At least once a day, WS8 will try to connect to the Internet to check to see if there is a newer version available. If it connects and finds that there is a newer version, you will get a window that says "Update available". We recommend that you click "Yes, begin downloading".
If you want to manually check for updates, click on the Help menu in the program and select Check for program Updates.
This message means that your computer cannot connect to our server.
Make sure you are connected to the internet. If you are connected to the internet, close WORDsearch 8 and try disabling your internet protection, anti virus scanner and/or your firewall program.
Most of these internet protection, anti virus scanner and/or your firewall programs, have an icon in the system tray (in the lower right corner of your screen next to the time). Right click on the icon and choose Disable or Open the programs Control Center and disable the anti virus scanner and/or your firewall there. Then, open WORDsearch 8 and try again.
If you experience any other problems or error messages updating WORDsearch 8, visit our WS8 FAQ web site for common errors and their resolutions. If you still need help, please call our Technical Support Department at 512-835-6900.
No, WORDsearch 8 will not read STEP books. CROSS, our new technology for documents is based on XML and other more recent standards. STEP was based on an old technology called rich text format (RTF). The benefits of CROSS include improved presentation and searching of Greek and Hebrew and other languages.
As part of the upgrade, WS8 will convert all STEP books bought from us. We are offering a deep discount on the CROSS version of STEP books from other STEP publishers that we currently sell. See the question below titled: How do I get the discount on books from other publishers?
No, WORDsearch 8 will not read any STEP books. However, we are offering a deep discount on the CROSS version of STEP books from other STEP publishers that we currently sell. See the following question (How do I get the discount ...).
To purchase and unlock STEP books from other publishers in WS8, do the
Please note: This will only work for STEP books that we currently have in CROSS and you will need to be connected to the internet.
- You will need to get the latest program update. To get the latest update, enter the WORDsearch 8 library, click on Help, and select Check for Program Updates.
- Make a backup. Go to the Options menu and click on Backup. Click Select All and click Next. Tell it where you want the backup to go. Click Finish.
- Close WS7.
- Click on Start | All Programs | Run | WORDsearch 8 | Search for STEP Books
- Follow the steps to search your hard disk for STEP books to import.
Running the Importer:
- In the importer, read the first screen then click Next.
- On the STEP 2 screen, select one of the following:
- “Search the entire disk” (hard drive) and click on the pull down arrow to select the drive where you installed WORDsearch or
“Select single folder” to search the specific directory the STEP books
are located if you know this directory.
If you have Parson's STEP books, the path location may be one of the following:
- QV5 - C:\Program Files\Parsons\QuickVerse or C:\Program Files\Parsons Technology\QuickVerse
- QV6 - C:\Program Files\Parsons Technology\QuickVerse or C:\Program Files\Parsons Technology\QuickVerse\Books
- QV7 - C:\Program Files\Parsons\QuickVerse or C:\Program Files\Parsons\QuickVerse\Books
- QV8 - C:\Program Files\QuickVerse8\QVBooks
- QV9 - C:\Program Files\QuickVerse9\QVBooks
- Click Next after you have put the path in the blank.
On the next screen, the importer will tell you the results of its search.
Look for your books here.
Follow the steps to unlock and purchase your books from our on line web page catalog.
No, we do not plan to add a STEP reader to WORDsearch 8.
During the installation of WORDsearch 8, it will run a WS8 Import program to search for data you had in WORDsearch 5 and import it into WORDsearch 8. The program scans the hard drive for STEP books purchased from WORDsearch and their unlock keys. It will make a list of these books and unlock them in WORDsearch 7.
Call our Customer Service at 1-800-888-9898 to unlock your WS5 books in WORDsearch 8.
The WORDsearch 8 import program will search for these WS5 files and it will convert the data for WORDsearch 7. The personal topics will show up under My Documents in the WS7 library. Your personal commentary and the Ref lists and Desktop Notes from your Desktops will show up under My Verse lists in the WS7 library.
Yes. WORDsearch 8 will install on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
The old Library Window has been replaced with the Resources Window and normally, the Resources Window is hidden.
To make the Resources Window appear and show you all your books, you must move your mouse pointer to the left hand side of the program – over the word RESOURCES. Mousing over the word RESOURCES will make it slide open. There you will find the section called Library and under it, your books.
Make sure you have opened the Resources window and can see the Library section. If you have examined the folders and books in the Library section and feel you are missing books, go through the Reunlock Purchased Books process. If you already have done this, call our Customer Service at 1-800-888-9898.
After installing WS8, the program may prompt you to register. If you decline, it will intermitently prompt you to register. You can also force the registration process by clicking on the Help menu in WS8 and selecting Register WORDsearch. You can register online or call our Customer Service at 1-800-888-9898 to register.
- You can purchase and unlock new books by clicking on Help | Shop for Add-On Books.
- You will be directed to our on line catalog web page (http://www.wordsearchbible.com/).
- Click on the books you want to purchase and follow the instructions.
- You can also purchase and unlock books by calling our Sales and Customer Service Department at 1-800-888-9898.
"The Order Tracking Database appears to be corrupt."
This is not a critical problem. All you need to do is unlock your books
Here are the steps to unlock your books.
- Enter the WORDsearch library.
- At the main menu, click on Help, then click on Unlock Purchased Books...
- Type in your 6 digit Account Number ( ...... ) and your 4 digit Password ( .... ).
- Click on "Next". (The next screen you should see is the "Re-Unlock Library Books" screen with the message, "The following books have been unlocked." This screen will list all the books that were just unlocked.)
- Click on Close to close the "Re-Unlock Library Books" window. (The program will give you the same error message again. Ignore it and click to close it)
- Close the WORDsearch program and restart it. You should no longer receive the error message.
Please call 1-800-888-9898 if this number has expired.
"Booklist File is Missing"
This error occurs when you have uninstalled WORDsearch 7 after installing WORDsearch 8.
The fix is to reinstall WORDsearch 8 and unlock your books again.
When WORDsearch 8 was installed, it detected WORDsearch 7 and attached itself to various critical files in the WORDsearch 7 program. When WORDsearch 7 was uninstalled, the critical files that WORDsearch 8 needs to start up (such as the Booklist file) are gone thus causing the error and inability to start WS8.
Again, the fix is to reinstall WORDsearch 8 and unlock your books by calling Customer Service at 1-800-888-9898.
Starting the WORDsearch 8 program produces a small window stating you have a duplicate book and lists the title of the book.
To address the duplicate book error messages, try the following
- Examine each error message
- Write down the book in the error message
- Delete that book from your hard drive
- Reinstall that book
To find the books on your hard drive, so that you can delete it, follow the steps below.
- Enter the WORDsearch 8 library
- Click on Help
- Click on About
- Click on the Support Info link at the bottom of the About window. (This will open a new window called Support Information.)
- In the Support Information window, look along the left hand side for "Library" then click on the link to the right of it. (Clicking on this link will open a window revealing all your books.)
- Look for the book that appears in the duplicate book error message and delete it.
- Shut down and restart WORDsearch 8 to verify if you have resolved the error(s).
- Reinstall the book(s) by clicking on the red question mark that appears next to the book(s) in the WORDsearch 8 library window.
Cannot find the file specified."
Starting the WORDsearch 8 program produces error above but allows you to enter the library.To address this error messages, delete the file Ortertracking.ini then call our Customer Service Department to Unlock your Purchased books.
To find and delete the file Ordertracking.ini, execute the following '''How to Find and Delete the file Ordertracking.ini:'''
1. Record the path location of the estore file, either
'''C:\Program Data\WORDsearch\Global Data\ ''' '''C:\Program Files\CROSS Shared\Data\ '''
'''C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\WORDsearch\Global Data.'''
2. Click on the Windows Start button
3. for XP: Click on '''Run'''
3. for Vista, Click on '''All Programs''' then click on '''Accessories'''then click on '''Run'''
4. In the '''Run''' box, type in the path location of the estore file, either
"C:\Program Data\WORDsearch\Global Data\" or
"C:\\Program Files\CROSS Shared\Data\" or
"C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\WORDsearch\Global Data."
5. Click on '''OK'''
6. Look for the file Ordertracking.ini and delete it.
7. Call WORDsearch Customer service to unlock your books - 1-800-888-9898
We are aware of this problem and are looking into it.
In the mean time, you can do either of the following below:1. Keep WORDsearch 8 running and do not shut it down untill you shutdown your computer.
2. Open the Windows Task Manager, look for the process WORDsearch.exe in the Processes tab and End that process there. This will allow you to restart WS8 without restating your computer.
"How to enter the Windows Task Manager and End the process WORDsearch.exe."
1. Press the following 3 keys together at the same time: Ctlr + Alt + Del
2. Click on Windows Task Manager
3. Click on the Processes tab
4. Look in the left column for the file WORDsearch.exe. When you find it, click on it.
5. Click on the button "End Process" in lower right corner.
6. Click on any follow up windows to confirn your "End Process" action.
You should now be able to start WORDsearch 8 without having to restart your computer.
When the fix for this problem is available, it will be distributed through our update process. So, keep downloading the WORDsearch updates when they become available.
- Exit WS8 if it's running.
- Start the Windows Internet Explorer program
- Click on Tools then click on Options....
- Click on the "Advanced" tab
- Scroll down the list and make sure that "Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)" and "Disable Script Debugging (Other)" are both checked.
- Click OK.
- Exit IE and restart WS8, and the problem is gone.
If you are trying to to change the location where your My Documents documents are being loaded from, you will notice that clicking on this button does nothing.
This means you are running an early version of WORDsearch 8.
Download the WORDsearch 8 update to install the ability to change the Documents Path.
When trying to copy text from a book, you see the following message.
Information: The text has been copied however, this version of the book does not support the citation style that you have selected. You can download an updated a copy of the book by right clicking it's title in the library windiow and choosing "Update book ... "
Updating the book is the resolution. We are replacing books on our book server with updated versions of books that do not produce this error message. However, if you have updated the book and still get the error message, that means we have still not fixed and uploaded the book. Please try updating the book again on another day.
Pages in Strong's Talking Greek and Hebrew Talking Dictionary and Concordance are blank.
Pages and section of Adam Clark's Commentary are blank.
Mouse over windows and pop up windows that are supposed to display Greek or Hebrew characters are blank.
This problem may have started after installing WS8 and does not exist in WORDsearch 7.
Try restarting the WORDsearch 8 program.
If needed, restart your computer.
If the problem still exists, uninstall the WORDsearch 8 program and reinstall it.
No. When WORDsearch 8 was installed, it sniffed out, detected and attached itself to important WORDsearch 7 program files, library books and documents. If you remove WORDsearch 7, the critical files that WORDsearch 8 needs to start up and give you access to your library will be cut off causing problems, errors and the inability to start WS8.
Zipscript Hangs at "One moment please ... Zipscript is loading ... "
Takes a long time to load and may seem to hang up the computer.
After installing WORDsearch 8, you may notice Zipscript taking a long time to load. We are aware of this issue and are working to improve this. When the fix is ready, it will be installed by downloading the WORDsearch update. So, keep downloading the WORDsearch 8 updates whenever they become available.
In the meantime, you can do 2 things:
You can sit and wait to let Zipscript load completely.
You can stop Zipscript from loading when your computer starts and start it manually when you want to use it.
Look for the Zipscript icon in the system tray - the lower right hand corner of your computer screen next to the time. (The Zipscript icon is a white Z on a blue circle.)
Right click on the Zipscript icon and select "Options." This should make the "Options" window appear.
Click on the General Tab then uncheck the box "Load Zipscript at startup."
If Zipscript is still starting when you start your computer, go into the Microsoft Configuration utility and turn off Zipscript there.
How To Start the Microsoft Configuration Utility program and Turn Off Zipscript:
- Click on Start
- Click on Run (For Vista users, type in Run in the Start Search window then click on Run in the Start Program menu
- When the Run box appears, type in the command " MSCONFIG ".
- Click OK. (This will produce the Windows System Configuration Utility Window.)
- Click on the Startup tab
- Uncheck all instances of Zipscript (and InstaVerse if it is there.)
- Click on Apply
- Click on Close
- Restart your computer